Friday, December 16, 2011

Ask Questions

Someone recently advised when writing a blog to ask questions to get people involved. I have a few rattling around in my brain. The first involves the newest civil rights movie The Help. It's a nice movie about the plight of African-American servants in the south 45 years ago. As I'm watching this on the parent company's cruise ship, it occurs to me that the makers of the movie import people from poor countries to:
+ wait on tourist for NO PAY (except tips)
+ work 7 days a week, up to 18 hour days
+ go 6 months at a time without seeing their families
+ be subject to a rigorous set of behavior and grooming codes that we can't even force high school students to follow.

No one in the company thought this was ironic?
Where's the movie or book about their struggle?
To me, it felt a little like Gingrich trying to impeach Clinton for adultery.

No comments:

Post a Comment